Turkey Soup and Basic White Bread

I roasted a turkey on Sunday and have planned our weekly dinners around the leftovers. Tonight we are having turkey soup and homemade bread. Some of my favorite things to cook are those that I can make more than one meal out of. It is a delicious and economic way to feed my family. I keep my freezer stocked with chicken, turkey, ham and beef rib roasts.
The winter of 2011/12 we had a month when we had only $125 to spend on food for our family of five. I took advantage of holiday sales and bought 2 hams, a turkey, 4 chickens and 4 pounds of ground beef (spent $60). The rest was used to buy some fresh produce, cereal and baking supplies. By raiding my pantry I was able to make 27 dinners which got us to the next month and an early start to the spring rush that is the nature of my DH's business. 
Turkey Soup



Leftover turkey back, wings and breast bone
2 quarts chicken stock or broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
4-5 fresh sage leaves
3-4 fresh oregano sprigs
3-4 fresh marjoram sprigs
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 small head cabbage, chopped
4 1/2 cups assorted frozen vegetables
1 oz. chopped chives, for garnish

Place turkey parts, broth and herbs in a 6-8 quart stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove turkey bones and herbs from pot. Let cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones and roughly chop. Add carrots, celery and cabbage to pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add chopped turkey and frozen vegetables to pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chives.


I used frozen corn, peas, cut broccoli, asparagus and spinach because that is what I had in my freezer. Use any vegetables you like or have in your freezer. My chives are growing like crazy so I used some as a garnish. This recipe is great because it uses whatever is fresh or on hand.


 Basic White Bread



1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk
2 tablespoons softened butter
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

For Top:
1 tablespoon melted butter
Flake Salt

Place ingredients, in order given, into bread machine and select dough setting. When ready, shape dough into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place. Heat oven to 375 degrees. When oven is hot, remove plastic wrap from dough and brush with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm with butter. 


I use my bread machine to make most of my bread doughs. I have made bread by hand before and it was simply too exhausting. If you don't have a bread machine you can make this by hand.













Comments

Popular Posts