Hardening off tomatoes

I have begun to harden off the tomato plants in preparation to go out into the garden the first weekend in May. I started them in the greenhouse on February 8. To harden them off I have stopped watering them and in about a week I will start putting them out for a couple hours each day to acclimate to outdoor temps and direct sunlight.

 
I have 33 plants. Most are heirloom varieties with a couple hybrids. I am also attempting to dehybridize my favorite variety of cherry tomato as I can't get seed for it anymore. I have hot and sweet peppers, basil, pickling cucumbers and a variety of squash and pumpkins. I will start to harden off some of those plants with the tomatoes and some will be hardened off later when the weather warms up.
The daphne is in full bloom and smells absolutely heavenly. On sunny days I open the front door and the whole house smells like lemon and plumeria. I love spring!

Comments

Popular Posts