Garden Reflections - Flowers

Munstead lavender 

While I grow a lot of plants that flower, I don't grow a large variety if plants specifically for their flowers.
When it comes to flowers I typically follow the "Rule of Three". That is, the plant must have at least three atributes that benefit my garden and/or family. The conditions that must be met include attractiveness, pleasant scent, culinary usability and desirability to beneficial insects
I may add one or two more varieties of flowering plants next year, but I'm pretty happy with what I already have 

Lilac 


Lilacs meet all four of my requirements. My plants attract crab spiders, lacewings and praying mantises and the gorgeous flower bracts scent the whole garden


 I also make several hundred candied blossoms each year to decorate cakes 

Daphne 



I have two daphne odora shrubs that flank my front entry. They bloom in late winter, providing a much needed emotional boost with their heady aroma and sparkling blossoms, as well as an early source of nectar for beneficial insects and migratory hummingbirds

Jasmine 



I have jasmine plants growing on each side of one of the garden arbors. Sweetly scented, hummingbirds and moths love it. The blossoms can also be used to scent tea leaves

Nasturtiums 



Nasturtiums are wonderful plants. Fast growing and requiring no care the leaves and flowers provide a peppery kick and pop of color to salads and sandwiches. The fresh seeds can also be pickled and used like capers or dried and ground as a pepper substitute


Nasturtiums have a lovely rose like scent as well. They attract aphids like mad along with cabbage moth and slugs, keeping these pests away from my food crops


Roses


Twilight Zone 

Two of the varieties of roses that I grow are strongly scented. I use them in potpourri mixes and to make rose petal jelly

Melody Parfumée

George Burns 

The third variety is one my husband picked. It has a soft, sweet scent but he chose it for its stunning color

Sunflowers 



I love sunflowers! They add height to the garden, attract tons of bees and provide plenty of yummy seeds


I grow many colors from the darkest burnt orange


To pale lemon yellow


They make the garden such a welcoming place 

Comments

Popular Posts