What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 25

It's been an exciting week here on the farm. Five of the ten duck eggs that I put in the incubator last month hatched (the other five were unfertilized or nonviable). Now I have a bundle of fluffy cuteness to love on. Lol!

 Rex is back! He belongs to Joey's science teacher but we are taking care of him again this summer. 

Here is the garden this week 


Sunlight on rhubarb and through a Red Express cabbage leaf

My garlic is only a few weeks from being ready to harvest. It'll be ready when most of the leaves have died, with only the top 3-4 still green. Each brown leaf is a protective papery layer, and, digging when there are still a few green leaves ensures firm, unblemished heads

My method for isolating seed tomatoes. I slip a fine mesh drawstring bag over an unopened cluster of blossoms. Every morning I give the bag a light flick to distribute pollen. Once a tomato has set I'll remove the bag, snip off remaining blossoms and tag the stem behind the fruit


My pickling cucumbers and zucchini are blooming

As are my Hungarian bread seed poppies

The beans have filled up their bed

Velvety new leaves on a Tiger's Eye bean

We had a couple of foggy mornings this week and this dewy dill plant caught my attention

Pickled radishes 
Weekly harvest total:
15 ounces radishes 
1 ounce lavender 
1 ounce peas
4 ounces garlic scapes 
1 ounce garlic 
3 ounces kale

Yearly total:
6 pounds 11 ounces

Comments

Popular Posts