What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 23

I am pleased with the progress of the gardens during this first week of June. Over the last few weeks we have been having perfect growing weather, warm and sunny for 4-5 days the 1-3 days of cooler, rainy weather. 

Here is the garden this week 

Bindweed on Hound's Tongue. This Hound's tongue grows at the edge of the upper garden and is loved by bees



The lavender in the potted herb garden is looking lovely and the sage is beginning to bloom. I also caught Caesar napping in the catnip and oat grass planter

One of three volunteer mystery squash growing among the leeks and green onions

Pea tendril getting friendly with a sunflower


French Breakfast Radishes

Hardy Kiwi blossoms



My German Butterball potato plants are looking lush and have begun to flower

And the volunteer potatoes that I thought
were Yukon Golds are actually Red Pontiacs. I'm happy with that since I really like red potatoes in certain recipes

A Rainbow Treasure strawberry sending out a runner

The melons are putting out true leaves. This is Early Hanover

Another volunteer squash growing next to a papaya seedling. I planted half a dozen papaya plants in the greenhouse that I grew from seed from a papaya purchased at the store. I don't know if they will reach maturity, but I thought it would be fun to try growing them

Bee on blueberry

Ladybug enjoying an aphid lunch

Bee on tomato
Insects are hard at work in the garden taking care of pollination and pest control

My roses are blooming. Clockwise from top are Melody ParfumeĆ©, Twilight Zone and George Burns 


Weekly harvest total:
8 ounces lettuce
2 ounces basil 
3 ounces peas and radishes

Yearly total:
2 pounds 14 ounces 


Comments

Popular Posts