What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 21

I have needed serious garden therapy this week! I sprained three ribs, which my awesome chiropractor was able to help ease the excruciating pain of (though the muscle relaxers didn't hurt either). I had oral surgery and I have been helping a dear family member cope with a difficult situation.

The garden this week


Beans are popping up. From top to bottom are Black Turtle, Rio Zape and Henderson's Bush Lima


As is the corn. This is Glass Gem


The first Sunsugar tomato has set


I think that I may need to thin a few of these volunteer sunflowers


The Ralph Thompson's Squash pepper I planted last week is flowering



The squash and melon seeds that I planted last week are coming up. Top is Black Futsu squash and bottom is Minnesota Midget melon


The few of the first planting peas that survived are blooming


A green onion and a leek. Brothers from another mother?


Tomatillo blossoms


A row of baby Arugula


Baby French Breakfast Radishes


I highly recommend planting shallots as they are extremely productive. I planted mine in a space 3 1/2 X 1 1/2 feet. The 17 sets that I planted will yield 60-70 shallots


Reka blueberries


My poor Frost peach has been hit pretty bad with fire blight this year. Still, I should get enough peaches for a few pies


Looks like I'll get a moderate crop of Shiro plums this year



My pie cherry (top) hasn't set much fruit this year, but my sweet cherry is loaded (bottom)


My Silken apple also didn't set well. I think our unusually cold winter and early spring may have affected pollination



The blackberries are doing well though. The top picture is our native trailing Pacific Blackberry. The bottom is the invasive Himalayan Blackberry (Considered a Class C noxious weed)


My duck eggs that I put in the incubator didn't hatch, unfortunately, so I am trying again with a new batch of 10 eggs

Here is what I harvested this week


Sage, Mint and Oregano
I dried these in my food dehydrator and crushed the mint and oregano. The sage was processed in my food grinder to get that rubbed sage texture



Kale
I removed the tough ribs from the larger leaves and then coarsely chopped the kale. I put the chopped kale in the freezer to be used later in stir fries and soups


Lettuce, arugula, pea shoots and radishes
I made a big salad with a simple lemon vinaigrette


Comments

Popular Posts