What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 31

The hot weather this week has quickly encouraged the beans to get up to picking size (and encouraged me to only pick in the relative cool of the morning). I also picked the first of the larger tomatoes

Here is the garden this week 


The poppy heads are dried and full of lovely blue seeds. All the poppies I grew yielded nearly a cup of seeds

My glass gem corn is tasseling (that's a 10 foot volunteer sunflower in the background)

My favorite sunflower Lemon Queen

 Hardy kiwis

 Southport Red Globe onion


 French Breakfast radish blossoms and pods


 I'm really looking forward to ripe bell peppers (top: Chocolate Beauty bottom: Quadrato D'asti Giallo)

Ralph Thompson's Squash pepper turning red

 Red Express cabbage going to seed

Elfin thyme, Irish and Scotch moss growing under my bistro table

 Sunshine Blue blueberries

 Tiny melon. I think it's a Early Hanover, but the 7 varieties I have are all growing together so it's hard to be sure

Though I try to keep the weeds out of the raised beds, I like letting some, like this knotweed, grow between them because they attract bees

Like my friend here, a yellow-faced bumble bee

Comments

Popular Posts