What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 29

Regular harvests continue. So far no large tomatoes have ripened but that is not unusual for heirlooms in my area. I often don't see the first ripe ones until early August with the bulk of the tomato harvest coming in mid September.

Here is the garden this week

Carolina Reaper (left) and supposedly a Ghost (right) though I think I may have mixed up the seeds and it is actually a Lemon Drop
I'm so excited that my super hot chilies are blooming. My cool summer climate often makes it difficult to get successful harvests of super hots, but with early indoor starting and planting in black pots, I can usually get at least a few dozen chilies by the end of September. I may try to overwinter the Reaper to get a jump start on next years harvest

Early Jersey Wakefield cabbages 

 The 17 French shallots that I planted 75 days ago (as an afterthought) yielded 82 copper skinned beauties. Once dried they'll be braided and hung up to use all winter

 Speaking of braiding, I did up the softneck garlic this week and have it hung on the wall in the pantry area (this bunch will be used for planting in October).

 The hardnecks were all cleaned up too and in the process I found this bulb with little bulbils growing out the top

Rattlesnake beans team up to reach a sunflower growing in the next bed

A vase of sunflowers for my sister


My butterfly bush is blooming for the second time this year. I have a love/hate relationship with this plant. I didn't plant it, it just showed up one year. I love the scent and that it attracts bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. I hate how aggressive it is. I cut it nearly to the ground last fall and it is currently 15 feet tall. In the upper left corner of the top picture you can see the bean bed in the lower garden.


Cocozelle and golden zucchinis. The cocozelle found its way into a loaf of chocolate zucchini bread

I'm looking forward to tasting these cute, tiny currant tomatoes (pen is for perspective)

My French Breakfast radishes went to seed. We'll enjoy eating the pods, saving a few for next years seed of course

This is a prime example of why I prefer to grow my squash plants from seed vs. purchasing from a nursery. This was labeled as a Delicata, it isn't (most of the Delicata that I started from seed were eating by slugs). I don't know what it is, perhaps a Kabocha or Buttercup? Only time will tell

At a month old the ducklings are not cute anymore, though their iridescent adult feathers are starting to show

Weekly harvest total

1 pound 2 ounces celery 
7 ounces squash blossoms 
3 pounds 10 ounces cabbage 
10 ounces peas 
8 pounds 4 ounces shallots 
4 pounds 13 ounces garlic 
2 ounces leeks
11 ounces cucumbers and dill 
3 ounces strawberry spinach 
3 ounces basil 
1 pound 3 ounces zucchini 
3 pounds 9 ounces potatoes 

Yearly total 

52 pounds 4 ounces 

Comments

Popular Posts