What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 27

I always hope to get ripe tomatoes by July 4th and, despite a cold wet spring, I picked the first Sunsugar on Tuesday. To me, the first summer tomato is a harbinger of good things to come and this one was perfection. A burst of sugary sweetness with a tomatoey (is that a word?) tang and creamy texture on the palate. Heavenly!

Here is the garden this week

 I harvested the garlic. The bulbs weren't as large as last seasons and I didn't plant nearly enough for my garlic loving household, but, we will enjoy this haul of homegrown goodness as long as it lasts

 I'm getting lot's of peppers setting on my plants. Clockwise starting at top left are Gypsy, Ralph Thompson's Squash, California Wonder, Pepperoncini and Chocolate Bell

If I ever renew my vows, I'm going to walk down the aisle holding a bouquet of kale. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

 The striping on this Large Barred Boar tomato is starting to be visible

 Hardy Kiwi

 Crosby Egyptian beet

 Quinoa starting to flower

 Reka blueberries getting ripe

 Most of the lettuce is going to seed and the patch of sweet corn is overshadowed by the volunteer potatoes

 Ripe raspberries

Tiger Eye bean blossoms

My sunflowers are starting to bloom. This is a volunteer, probably Autumn Beauty

Cherries only a couple of days away from being ready to pick

Weekly harvest total:
4 ounces kale 
5 ounces carrots 
5 ounces lettuce 
1 ounce green onions
1 pound 3 ounces peas 

Yearly total:
11 pounds 7 ounces 

Comments

Popular Posts