What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 3


This week I started my cabbage and kale seeds. This year I am growing five heirloom cabbage varieties and three heirloom kale varieties. 

Cabbage I'm growing this year:

Brunswick - This variety was sent as a bonus pack in one of my seed orders. It is supposed to produce large heads (a trait that usually turns me off of growing a variety) with good keeping quality. 

Early Jersey Wakefield - A small, green cabbage. Probably one of the best flavored varieties that I've grown 

Golden Acre - An early variety that can be spaced closely together, great for intensive gardening techniques 

Hilton (Chinese) - A new variety for me. I love Chinese cabbage raw, in salads, and slightly wilted, in stir fry or soup. If this Napa-style variety grows well I may attempt kimchi this year!😉

Red Express - A small, red variety that can be spaced closely together. This cabbage makes yummy red sauerkraut.

Kale I'm growing this year:

Blue Curled - Very frilly variety good for kale chips

Nero di Toscana a.k.a. Dinosaur - Large, very dark green leaves. Probably the best flavored variety, it is excellent in soup

Red Russian - Red veined, oak leaf variety. Delicious and tender, especially when picked young. Good in mixed green salads


The replanted red onions have germinated and are doing well 



The peppers and celery are getting their first true leaves 

Alpine strawberries 




I pulled the remaining winter carrots and discovered several small leeks growing among them under the leaves



Comments

  1. Looks like you're off to a great start Cecily. I will be starting seeds indoors the first two weeks of February. Eager to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts