What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 1


This is my first garden update of 2017!
Though there isn't a lot growing in the gardens in early January, there are a few things that I have started in the greenhouse. There is also fall planted garlic and winter carrots in two of the garden beds.

Garlic

Winter carrots mulched with leaves

Pepper, celery and eggplant seedlings

This year I am growing eight heirloom varieties and one hybrid variety of peppers. I'm also growing two varieties of heirloom eggplant and one heirloom celery variety

Peppers I'm growing this year: 

Chocolate Beauty - Sweet, chocolate-brown bell pepper 

Carolina Reaper - Currently the world's hottest pepper at 1,500,000+ scovilles

Ghost - Very hot (1,000,000 scovilles) and fruity

Gypsy - Very productive tapered sweet peppers ripen from yellow to orange to red

Anaheim Chile - My seeds are from the popular chiles grown in Hatch, NM. Mild heat, good roasted 

Lemon Drop - Extremely productive, even in cool climates. Hundreds of peppers per plant with a hot (3x hotter than jalapeƱo) citrusy flavor

Pasilla Bajio - My favorite for squash blossom soup. Dark green and mildly hot

Pepperoncini - Perfect for pickling, only a little heat

Quadrato D'Asti Giallo - Huge yellow peppers with thick sweet flesh 

Eggplant I'm growing this year: 

Apple Green - Light green, early and mild

Long Purple - Mild with few seeds

Celery I'm growing this year: 

Golden Pascal - Yellow stalked with pale green leaves, good flavor 


This year I'm growing four varieties of heirloom and one variety of hybrid onions (The red onions I started didn't germinate due to old seed. I started new seeds today). I'm also growing one variety of heirloom leeks

Onions and Leeks I'm growing this year: 

Ailsa Craig - Huge (up to 5 pounds), yellow, mild and sweet 

Copra - The best onion for storage, up to 12 months 

Southport Red Globe - Best red storage onion. Has some heat

Tokyo Long White Bunching - Non bulbing, thin and flavorful

Wethersfield Red - Larger, milder and redder than Southport

Giant Musselburgh Leek - They get very large yet stay tender and mild. Very winter hardy

Yellow Alpine Strawberry 
I've also started yellow alpine strawberries 











Comments

Popular Posts