Apples, Winter Squash, Dilly Beans, Melons, Rio Zape Beans and Baba Ganoush

Almata Apple 

We've had rain all week and though I'm happy that our summer drought is finally over,  it makes for a wet, muddy time in the garden.
Here is the garden this week





My apples were ripe this week. I have Silken and Almata apple trees. The Almata is primarily a pollinizer as it's fruit has unimpressive flavor, though if I had enough it would add a nice pink hue to applesauce. The Silken took some serious damage in a windstorm two years ago. Still, it produced 12 1/2 pounds of small apples, enough for 12 1/2 pints of sauce




The first of the winter squash were ripe this week. I washed them up and set them in the greenhouse to cure over the next several weeks. There are probably a dozen more fruits still ripening on the vines. Our first frost date is still 6-8 weeks away so they should have plenty of time to mature




I made a couple jars of my famous dilly beans. I always get requests to bring them to family get togethers so I'll probably put up a few more jars as more beans come in



The melons are still ripening. Our summer days may be hot but the nights are cool so it takes a long time for melons to get ripe here. They usually aren't ready to pick until late September or early October





The Rio Zape beans are starting to come in, and with their burgundy pods and purple striped seeds, I think that they are just about the prettiest bean there is. They are also incredibly delicious and have an interesting backstory you can read here




I picked the remaining eggplants this week and whipped up a big batch of baba ganoush. Most of it went into the freezer and the rest was gobbled up by my vegetarian son


Weekly Harvest:

3 pounds 8 ounces cucumbers 
4 pounds 6 ounces beans 
5 ounces peppers 
13 ounces soup beans 
1 ounce tomatillo 
4 ounces zucchini 
12 pounds 8 ounces apples 
15 pounds 9 ounces squash 
23 pounds 8 ounces tomatoes 
1 pound 8 ounces eggplant 
13 ounces kale 

Yearly Total: 

771 pounds 4 ounce 

Comments

Popular Posts