Winter Squash, Morning Glory, Turkey Poult and A Flood of Tomatoes

Pictures taken July 25 (top) and August 22 (bottom)

Most of the week we have been dealing with wildfire smoke pouring in from Canada, Oregon and California. In fact, it's been so bad that we received the dubious distinction of having the worst air quality in the world. This makes it difficult to get out into the garden for more than a few minutes at a time without having to wear a mask.
Here is the garden this week

Unknown variety, possibly Ambar

I thought this was Jumbo Pink Banana but now I'm not so sure 

I think this might be a Sweet Lightning . I grew some several years ago but don't remember planting them this year 

This is one I can identify with certainty. It is a Galeux D'eysines

A mystery pumpkin like squash 

Well, this is a first for me. I don't know what happened with the winter squash but, of all the varieties I am growing I have almost no idea what they are. I must have had a number of crosses, or perhaps seeds were mixed up. Either way, it will be interesting to taste the mature fruits


My flying saucer morning glory is finally blooming! I've been trying to grow this variety for three years and something always goes wrong. I hope to grow enough next year to cover the south garden arbor


One of the wild turkeys hatched out a clutch of poults in our brambles about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately all but one succumbed to the various dangers facing young wild birds. She has been bringing baby around to get water and share the scratch grain that I toss to the chickens


I'm picking so many tomatoes that my kitchen table is more than half covered with them. As soon as I got a batch of sauce done, I filled the table again with partially ripe fruit which will be ready for another batch of sauce in 2-3 days


Weekly Harvest: 

93 pounds tomatoes
3 pounds 11 ounces cucumbers
1 pound peaches
2 pounds 6 ounces zucchini
1 pound 2 ounces beans
7 ounces peppers
1 pound onions

Yearly Total:

536 pounds 5 ounces
(Woohoo! I made it to the 500 pound mark!)


Comments

Popular Posts