What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 37

What a busy week we've had here on the farm. The end of the growing season is fast approaching as harvests of corn, dried beans, potatoes and winter squash attest to. There will still be harvesting going on throughout fall and winter, but the garden is starting to look, and feel, a little tired. 

Here is the garden this week 

 Bee and Black Futsu squash 

One of the prettiest tomatoes I grow, Beauty King lives up to it's name  

 A mix of dried heirloom beans


I dug all of the potatoes this week. These are the volunteer Pontiac Reds and Russets (and all of the potatoes curing in burlap in the woodshed). There was a volunteer French Fingerling that I pulled up as well. As I dug each row of the German Butterballs, I replanted eight of the nicest 3-4 ounce ones, covering them over with soil from the next row. I now have 6 rows of Germans and 1 row of mixed reds and fingerlings planted. I'm trying this method of simultaneously harvesting and planting to save time and energy, as well as improve yields 

I picked lots of pretty peppers this week, most of which were roasted and frozen for use in soups and on pizza throughout the winter

I picked one of the multicolored corn ears to check the development. Looks like it will have nice quality kernels

Sam took third place in the sunflower competition at the Washington State Fair!

Weekly harvest total:

18 pounds 2 ounces tomatoes 
8 ounces eggplant 
3 pounds 2 ounces zucchini 
6 pounds 4 ounces corn
14 ounces melon
68 pounds 9 ounces potatoes 
1 pound 13 ounces winter squash 
2 pounds 1 ounce peppers 
4 pounds tomatillos 
9 ounces beans 

Yearly total:

342 pounds 12 ounces 



Comments

Popular Posts