What's Growing on Hen and Drake Farm - Week 10

This week I planted arugula, beets and carrots.
Chioggia Beets from 2015
This year I am growing 4 varieties of heirloom beets

Bull's Blood - Produces pretty red-purple tops of high quality, excellent in mixed green salads. Roots are also tasty and sweet

Chioggia - Pink and green leaf stalks with green leaves. Pink and white roots, striped like a bulls eye. Rich, earthy flavor 

Crosby Egyptian - Large green leaves with red stalks. Large, flattened beets grow mainly on the surface of the soil. Early, tender and sweet 

Golden - Green leaves with pale yellow stalks. Orange skinned roots with a golden-yellow interior. Very sweet and milder than red beets

Twisted carrot from 2015
I am also growing 3 heirloom and 1 hybrid variety of carrots. Though I like early carrots I only planted 2 rows this week for spring and summer harvests.
I practice succession gardening to get the most out of my planting area, so I will plant most of my carrots in mid summer, after my garlic harvest, for fall/winter use.

Cosmic Purple - Purple skin and orange interior that is sweet and core less with a hint of spice

Mokum - Dark orange, sweet and richly flavored. Roots are crisp and crunchy 

Nantes - Bright orange, sweet and juicy. My favorite for fall use

Tendersweet - Rich orange, very sweet and core less.


All of the tomatoes have their first set of true leaves 


A few of the peppers were large enough to be topped. This creates hardier, bushier plants with more fruit


My hardy kiwis are breaking bud

Flashy Trout Back Lettuce 


I started hardening off the cabbage, kale and lettuce which will be planted out next week 






Comments

Popular Posts