How Much Produce Can a Garden Grow?



Two years ago, I challenged myself to grow as much produce as possible in my 875 sf garden and orchard. I garden mainly for pleasure and anxiety relief, but I wanted to see what kind of quantity (there is no question as to the quality) I could grow and if growing my own fruit and vegetables was financially sound (I didn't want a $50 tomato). The results of that years garden amounted to just over 920 pounds of fresh produce. 
Now, here in my area of the PNW we are blessed to get produce at very reasonable prices. In season, much of our standard produce varieties are under $1 per pound, with the exception of berries which range from $1-3 per pound. Organics obviously cost more but typically range between $2 and $6 per pound. So what was my produce worth? Well, I wouldn't say my garden is organic although I do use natural and organic practices whenever possible. When I do have a problem where I have to choose between a non-organic solution and losing my entire crop, I choose to save my produce. That being said, I would give my produce a conservative value of $1.50 per pound or $1380. Not bad in my opinion. 
Now, after taking a year off from major gardening due to health I am ready to try and top that this year. I am here by issuing a "Grow Big or Go Home" challenge. My goal is to grow half a ton of garden goodness. I will weigh all my produce and post my totals each month along with a recipe that makes use of what I grow. Join me in this challenge and see just how big you can grow!

Comments

  1. What a nice goal and great harvest! fresh is best too, rather than who knows how old from the store. I am after that "fifty dollar tomato" however, even if it costs me a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry. That challenge sounds interesting and is definitely "food for thought"! Btw, what did you do with all that produce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate lots of it fresh, I canned and froze lots more and I donated about a third of it to my local community.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts