Turning a Mistake Into Food




Okay, admit it. This has happened to you (and if you are like me, more than once). You bought a bunch of green onions to add to a salad and they somehow, mysteriously, got pushed to the bottom of the produce drawer or the back of the fridge. Now they are brown, slimy and unusable, right. Well I'm here to say, step away from the compost bin. You can rescue those seemingly ruined onions and get a head start on your spring garden



Cut the tops off of the green onions leaving about two inches



Place onions in a small jar or cup and add water to cover the root zone



Place in a sunny window.



After a few weeks, fresh new roots and greens should start growing


Plant 2-3 inches apart as soon as your soil can be worked. Green onions can take light freezes but you can mulch for extra protection

This can be done over and over again with the same green onion. When you dig up your onions to use, just leave an inch of the bottom of the onion, trim the roots, place in water, wait until the roots begin to grow and replant. In my zone 8 garden I do this year round 













Comments

  1. Cool! I like this idea. Now if I can get some soil space/backyard to do this. And yes I am also a victim of having produce pushed to the back in the fridge and completely forgot I bought it or there is still more left. *Sighs*

    My blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts