Starting Seeds For My Spring Garden

I like nice big healthy starts for Spring planting. You know, like the ones you see at the nursery. Four inch pots with single plants that fill them to overflowing. The best way to get those amazing results in my neck of the woods, without tons of chemical fertilizer, is to start now. 
I typically add three to four weeks onto the recommended starting time on the back of the seed packets since the seedlings will be translated 2-3 times into successively larger containers.
I re-use sanitized plastic planting containers, some that I have purchased and some that I got by asking at my local nursery for their throw aways, and an OMRI certified seed starting mix. I follow the directions on the packets for planting depth and place the containers on heat mats, under grow lights, in my greenhouse.
In a few weeks I will show how I transplant into larger containers using my homemade potting mix.

Onions, leeks and celery that I started about two weeks ago. Since we have had some pretty cool temps the leeks and celery are taking longer to germinate than the onions


Artichokes, thyme, dill, marjoram, oregano, lavender and parsley started about two weeks ago




Cabbage and kale that I started today


Flats of cutting mix that I started in November. When I want fresh greens I just go out to the greenhouse and snip off the plants about half an inch above the soil. The greens will grow back in 2-3 weeks

Comments

Popular Posts