Tomatoes, Carrots and Soup Beans

A salad made the last of this years ripe tomatoes 

 Two surgeries, one minor (mine) and the other major (sister's), plus an out of town wedding have made this week chaotic. The weather also dealt us an unexpected surprise.
Here is the garden this week 



The tomato plants in the community garden succumbed to an unexpected inversion frost this week. That triggered a mass green tomato exodus to my kitchen. The biggest and best ones and those most likely to ripen will be dropped off at the local food bank. The rest will be used in various recipes


While at the community garden, I dug up the carrots that were planted as companions for the tomatoes. I plan on cleaning them up and including the majority of them with the tomatoes going to the food bank 


The rest of the soup beans were dry so I shelled them and filled up some jars. I now have nearly 5 quarts of mixed dried beans in the pantry. I still have some straggling Rattlesnake and Fortex beans on the trellis that may fully mature, but if not I am pretty happy with this seasons crop 


Weekly Harvest: 

3 pounds 8 ounces soup beans
151 pounds tomatoes 
2 pounds 3 ounces squash 
8 pounds 8 ounces carrots 

Yearly Total: 

1035 pounds 9 ounces
I made it to the half ton mark! Woohoo!

Comments

Popular Posts