Hot Peppers, Plums, Cucumbers and My Favorite Sunflowers

A rattlesnake bean vine claims one of the beans for itself 
Another week of temps in the 90's has me (almost) missing winter. I have been harvesting and watering in the early morning or late evening, trying to avoid the worst of the heat. Fortunately, most of the garden seems to be thriving in the heat, with regular watering.
Here is the garden this week


Lemon Drop

Pepperoncini

Cayenne

Jalapeño

Ralph Thompson's Squash

Sugar Rush Peach

I am growing six varieties of hot peppers this year and all of them are doing quite well. I use them to spice up salsas and pickles, in sauces and to make my all purpose salt free seasoning


The plums are starting to ripen. There will be too many to possibly eat ourselves, so, much will be shared with family, friends and neighbors. Of course, the chickens will get their fair share as well


The cucumbers are flowering like mad and starting to produce well. It's too hot to make shelf stable pickles, so I am picking them every other day to make fermented kosher dills.
This is the first time I've grown Double Yield and I am floored by the number of flowers that they are putting out. I think I may come to regret planting as many plants as I did, but at least there will be plenty to go around





These are my favorite sunflowers this season. Top and bottom are Evening Suns and center is Giant Primrose


Weekly Harvest:

3 pounds 2 ounces beans
7 pounds 12 ounces cucumbers
3 pounds 9 ounces tomatoes
2 pounds 9 ounces plums
1 pound cabbage
1 pound 6 ounces peas
8 ounces onions
8 ounces carrots
9 ounces beets
13 ounces zucchini

Yearly Total:

92 pounds 6 ounces






Comments

Popular Posts