My Weed is Your Specimen Plant


 Most everyone recognizes Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale), Purple Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum) and Plaintain (Plantago major) as weeds, meant to be eradicated from the garden. Then there are plants that are desirable specimens by some, yet are considered weeds in certain areas. 


Skimming through a plant website I came across Budleja davidii, commonly known as butterfly bush. Now, in my area, Budleja is considered a class B noxious weed. It is highly invasive and property owners are encouraged to remove plants when they are found. 
This got me wondering, what invasive plants are in other areas that I, or others in my area, consider desirable?


Comments

  1. I encourage these beautiful plants and have replaced the grass with clover. My yard is green and lush while my neighbors struggle to keep their grass green. I still mow, but no chemical inputs and less water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love clover. If I had a lawn it would be clover and moss.;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts