Ugly Chicken Coop

When I picture an a-frame chicken coop this is what I see
 
 
 
Or this
 
 
 
Or even this
 
 
 
 These coops are well built by skilled craftsmen with fresh lumber and new chicken wire. They also cost between $150 and $350 dollars to build. I am neither skilled nor do I have the funds to accomplish creating something similar to these works of art
 
I set out to see if I could build a small coop to house this years chicks until they are ready to join the main flock. I had 2 crisp $20 bills, a plan (in my head) and a pile of junk lumber and scraps to work with. The results are far from pretty, but it will do the job and hopefully last long enough to house next years chicks as well as this years
 
 
I know what your thinking. "that doesn't look that bad". This, however,is the best view. If we take a closer look the evidence of my lack of skills and material is glaring
 
 
Scrap piece of plywood, covered in old concrete with bent rusty nails
 
 
My pieces of used chicken wire were not long enough so I had to wire tie them together
 

 
Yes, that is an old wooden window with two panes missing. We replaced our windows about 4 years ago and I saved the old ones to reuse later
This set up will comfortably house the six chicks until they are 16 weeks old and ready for the big coop
 
 
Grand Total Spent $32.58
 


Comments

Popular Posts