Seasons End

Black Nebula Carrot 

With the planting of the garlic last week the 2018 growing season came to its conclusion. Though there are still carrots and parsnips to be harvested as needed over the winter, the majority of the garden beds have been cleaned up and are resting for next year. 
The next several weeks will be a time to reflect on the successes and failures in the garden, plan for next season and enjoy the bounty of preserved food that this seasons harvests made possible.
Here is the garden this week




I picked a few carrots this week to accompany some dinners, including braised short ribs. Fresh carrots have so much flavor and sweetness that they really stood up against the richness of the beef




I pulled up the tomatillo plants and packed the remaining fruits into freezer bags. I didn't have a great crop this year but there will be enough for several batches of tomatillo chicken




While cleaning up one of the beds I found over a pound of beets. I roasted them in a hot oven along with carrots and kohlrabi. They were earthy, sugar sweet and oh so tasty


Final Weekly Harvest: 

1 pound 6 ounces carrots 
3 pounds 2 ounces tomatillos 
9 ounces peppers 
6 ounces peas
1 pound 3 ounces beets

Yearly Grand Total:

1097 pounds 4 ounces

I went over my harvest records and found a few mistakes, so I added everything up again to get my final total

Comments

Popular Posts